Monday, September 15, 2008

Is there enough time in the school year???

Barry Bachenheimer is a professor at Montclair State University and the Director of Instruction at Caldwell-West, Caldwell Public Schools in New Jersey. He used the video, Did you know?/Shift happens, at Montclair State University. It was a big hit. One thing that keep coming up was, there's not enough time in the school year...or is it? He made his own 180 days presentation on the waisted days throughout the school year. Sixty days out of the year are waisted. This is something to think about. We need to step up a notch and improve our learning. We need to keep up with the other countries in education, if not being one of the top!

Here is a link to the website. Click Here

6 comments:

Barry Bachenheimer said...

Thanks for looking at my video. You propose that we should make some changes. What do you fathom they should be in terms of the way we use our time in schools?

Delana said...

This is my first year at USA for education. I don't really know. I'm learning a lot!! Everyday needs to be used to its fullest! Have the parties incooporated with lunch or snack. First day of school go ahead and jump into activities and introduction to the subjects. A fun activity can be done where the students get to know each other, but yet it's educational and for a grade. Are you talking about block classes? If so....all I know to say is to use everyday to it's fullest!
I have a question for you. My teacher wanted me (as a project) to contact someone and ask them about some aspect of technology and education. Where do you think education and technology is going and what the future holds?

Barry Bachenheimer said...

That's a pretty broad question. Can you narrow it down? I'm happy to respond.

Delana said...

Sorry! As you may know from looking at my blog, I'm going for Elementary Education. I've never done blogs before and mine is still a work in progress. What do you think about (young) students blogging and how will it benefit them? Thanks for your time!!
Delana

Barry Bachenheimer said...

I think anything that gets kids writing, interested in writing, and collaborating is a good thing. If blogs accomplish this goal, under teacher supervision for young learners, then I am in favor of it!

Delana said...

I have a few more questions, if you don't mind? As me being a future teacher, what would be the most important thing in technology, that I need to focus the most on? what and why? Also, I don't know if you read my blog on the ACCESS (Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, and Students State Wide) program that we have here in Alabama. It's basically on-line courses for public schools. They take web based classes and Video Conferencing Classes. I visited a local one and it was pretty cool! What are your thoughts on this program for students? I'm trying to get enough of your thoughts so I can finish my contact blog! Thank you so much for your time!!! It's much appreciated!

Delana Bemis