Thursday, November 13, 2008

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture


Randy Pausch was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer with only a few months to live. He was a Professor at MIT and did his last lecture on, "Really Achieving your Childhood Dreams." At the time of the video he had three to six months of good health left. With him knowing he was going to die, he had a great sense of humor! He talked about his childhood dreams, while being comical and teaching a lesson.
One of the things he said was, "Always have something to bring to the table. You will be more welcomed." Another thing he said was, "When screwing up and no one is saying anything to you anymore, that means they gave up." This means a lot to me. When I become a teacher, I need to help the children and show them the right way. Not to give up on them and let them go in the wrong direction. This could be based in many different areas, academically, in sports, etc. Don't give up on your students or children, some take longer to learn than others. Mr. Pausch also said that, "If you wait long enough, people will surprise and impress you. You haven't given them enough time." It makes you think.
He also said, "Brick walls are there for a reason! Brick walls are not there to keep us out. They let us prove how badly we want things. It stops the people that don't want it badly enough." This is so true and again it can be based on my different aspects. I started my own business in 2006. I wasn't going to let a brick wall stop me! I had many people come against me and tell me it was not a good idea. I wouldn't take that experience away for anything. Also when I decided to go back to school to be a teacher, again I had people telling me that I was crazy. No matter what you do in life, you need to do what is best for yourself and not worry about others. Some people will always have negaitave things to say. Achieve your goals and dreams! A brick wall isn't going to stop me, I'll find another route!
Randy talks about many things throughout his lecture. He was so fun and out going. He said, "We learn from our students. Are you a Tigger or an Eeyore?" This video helped me realize that I have a lot to live up to. I want to be the best teacher that I could be! I'm not going to let anything stop me and I'm not going to give up on my children! At the end of the lecture Randy stated that, "This was not how to achieve your dreams, It was how to lead your life and this lecture was for his children."


Everyone should watch this video!
Click Here

No comments: